For the first time since 1988, the Food and Drug Administration approved a new type of sunscreen compound that protects skin from shortwave ultraviolet A light and doesn't break down as easily as other products.
UVA accounts for over 80 percent of the damage that occurs to the skin in terms of aging, DNA damage and, ultimately, skin cancer. UVA rays are present all year long, even in the winter, and they can penetrate through clouds and windows.
Most sunscreens available in the United States protect only against long-wave UVA and both forms of ultraviolet B light. But the new compound, known as ecamsule, has long been available in Europe and Canada.
The product, Mexoryl SX, contains two standard sunscreen chemicals as well as ecamsule and is sold as a daily moisturizing cream. The combination of the following three UV active ingredients is complementary and their selection for the product provides continuous protection across the entire UV spectrum (290 - 400 nm range), with high protection in the UVA range, i.e. ecamsule (Mexoryl SX) is the "gap-filler" in the UV spectrum between octocrylene and avobenzone curves:
- Octocrylene protects against UVB rays
- Avobenzone protects against long UVA rays and is stabilized by Octocrylene
- Mexoryl SX is photostable and protects against short UVA rays to allow the most complete broad spectrum protection with the highest UVA coverage
Unlike most sunscreen that can make skin pasty, this non-greasy, rich blocker contains light-diffusing particles for a dewy finish.
A breakthrough technology in sun protection: MEXORYL SX (ecamsule). The first and only stable sun filter to protect from harmful short UVA rays.
- The first sun filter approved by the FDA in 18 years
- Unsurpassed photostability
- Allows for the most complete UV protection
- Excellent tolerability
- Used for over a decade worldwide
- Exclusive L'Oreal technology
- 24 hour long-lasting hydration
- Light, non-greasy texture
- Suitable for sensitive skin
Avobenzone 2%, Ecamsule 2%, Octocrylene 10%.
Carbomer 940, Carbomer Copolymer Type B, Cyclomethicone, Dimethicone, Edetate Disodium, Glycerin, Hydroxypropyl Methylcellulose, Isopropyl Palmitate, Methylparaben, Phenoxyethanol, Propylene Glycol, Propylparaben, Purified Water, Stearic Acid, Stearoyl Macrogolglycerides, Stearyl Alcohol, Trolamine.